Evaluation survey

posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:11 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 23, 2013, 1:22 PM ]

Participants in the 2013 Raid should complete the evaluation survey by following the link at the bottom of the navigation window to the left.

Oyster Cove to Hobart

posted Feb 9, 2013, 12:19 AM by Richard Forster

From Yukon:

Weighed anchor, with much effort,  got shipshape and had breakfast on board, then sailed to Kettering to pick up the day passengers.  Proceeded on our way up the channel under full sail including square sail  and raffee.  Blustery winds blew out the jib sheet, during which Richard lost his hat and glasses - but the rest of the crew handled it with ease!  Reduced sail, and in heavy traffic in the Derwent reverted to using motor.  Joined other tall ships for the sail past into Hobart - eventually to Elizabeth Street Dock, where we left a great skipper and mate.  Off to the pub. 

Jane Walduck

And from 'Imagine':

Leaving Oyster Cove with a dolphin escort, “Imagine” set off for the final leg. After a slight delay with a Neil Oliver film crew (cameras clicking everywhere!), rowing conditions were again much enjoyed as the Skiff rode the winds, swell, and currents, joining hundreds of fellow wooden boats for the surge into Hobart. Welcome assistance from “Vado” and “Thowra” after the onslaught of more wild Northerlies saw the Skiff row in first to be greeted by the cheering crowd  and wonderful atmosphere offered by the capital city. The whole idea of “Imagine building and rowing our own boat into Hobart” had become an incredible reality for a group of hopeful, determined women with a wonderful sense of achievement.

The Raid had lived up to all its potential – offering challenges, adventure, camaraderie and the unforgettable experience of carving a course 197km from Cockle Creek to Hobart, as fellow explorers and travellers have done, throughout history.

Jane Johnson

Alonnah to Oyster Cove (14 nautical miles)

posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:58 PM by Richard Forster

Another post from 'Imagine'

With a refreshing sleep and new crew, the rowers headed off first, keen to beat the forecast northerlies with a quick crossing over to the protective landmass of Gordon.
An easy crossing riding the waves and currents and running with the wind was a cause for celebration until Northerlies again tested the indefatiguable crew. Good skippering brought the Skiff team to Birchs Bay for a lunchbreak and swim before pushing on to Oyster Cove. Conditions off Flowerpot, Kettering and Little Oyster Cove were turbulent and the rowers put backs (and legs, arms, stomachs, minds and stamina) “into it” to arrive at the rear of the fleet and be welcomed by the tranquil safety of Oyster Cove – 7 hours of rowing later!

Sailors were all celebrating after testing their skills and enjoying the sailing challenges and conditions.


Cygnet to Alonnah (14 nautical miles)

posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:44 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 8, 2013, 11:49 PM ]

The view from 'Imagine'.

The troops pushed on to the Wooden Boat Festival with a voyage to Alonnah on Bruny Island. “Imagine” rowers left first in beautiful still conditions with an aim to beat the southerlies by heading past Huon Island early, aiming for an easy run past Spectacle Island and then into the Alonnah haven. However, the still waters came under the influence of strong northerlies making the journey a real test for the crew. Six hours later the caterpillar-like progress was cause for celebration with the St Ayles Skiff making the first entry for the fleet into the delightful harbour of the Alonnah waters. Celebratory swims in the turquoise waters of Bruny Island were enjoyed by all.

Sailors also had a challenging crossing from Cygnet arriving one after the other shepherded by the protective backup of Yukon at the rear. 

Jane Johnson

And from Yukon...

We left Cygnet in light winds, and learnt to tack the ship which involved 4 people under the tutelage of Dave Mayhew on the foresails.  It took us 3 hours to get out of Cygnet Bay and into the Huon, at which point the wind started to come in from the east, south east.  We had a grand sail across the Channel, keeping an eye on the small boats as the wind swung around to the north east.  Swiftsure disappeared as it made a long tack into Great Taylor's Bay.  Some boats dropped anchor in the lee of Huon Island for lunch.  It was windward work all day and the crew of Imagine rowed for six hours.  We all arrived at Allonah by 5pm - Yukon had to anchor outside.  We went ashore to the Allonah community centre where Jamie and Rob and their helpers cooked up the usual storm.  Silkweed, gave us a beautiful performance of their narration with musical and video accompaniment called voices from the distant past.  To bed.

Louise Crossley

Best woofer

posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:00 AM by Richard Forster

Nominate this bloke for world’s best woofer … he has worked bloody hard and grabs every opportunity to have a good time.

Dover to Cygnet

posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:09 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 5, 2013, 2:15 PM ]

Another beautiful day dawns on the Raid at Far South Camp at Dover. The daily routine is now feeling like normal life. Hearty breakfast , skippers meeting, another favourable forecast, pack the truck and head to sea. Light south east breeze has us tacking out of Port Esperence rounding Blubber Head bearing away onto a quarter run down the coast to Cygnet Point. Suddenly a nasty incident when the Derwent Raider rowed by Julian is struck by a fish farm vessel travelling at high speed. Fortunately it is only a glancing blow and Julian although severely shaken is unharmed. The Derwent Raider is not so lucky, suffering substantial damage to its bow. This incident will be investigated by Marine and Safety Tasmania so I will leave at that. We are all feeling very fortunate, things could have ended very differently. A pleasant lunch was eaten in Sandrock Bay and then another pleasant sail into Cygnet. Afternoon entertainment started with a cocktail party on the mother ship, the tall ship Yukon berthed at the public jetty in Cygnet. Then on to to Burton's reserve for another fine meal provided by the Raid chefs. The pace is picking up.  It's a new stop over each day and this was apparent by the empty camp site by 9.30 pm, weary sailors heading for bed in all directions. Tomorrow it's on to Allonah on Bruny Island.

Ali McRae

Everybody crowds aboard Yukon for drinkies at Cygnet

Mickey's Bay to Dover

posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:04 AM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 5, 2013, 3:46 AM ]

Wind gods smiled again, after tide gods let us down. Tide way out this morning, leaving 1 boat a good couple of hundred metres out of the water. A group of seafarers went from boat to boat lifting (and dragging in Black Pearl's case) most of the small boats back into the water. Even the safety boat Njord was high and dry, and was refloated by 20 or so willing helpers. We all sailed to Butlers beach (point on end of Bruny) for a rendezvous, whilst Yukon weighed and set sail. She is such a fine sight under sail.  The fleet set off again for Port Esperance with a light following breeze - excellent conditions to crosss the channel in safety and comfort.  The rowers made good time. 

Entering Port Esperance is a mass of fish farms. With a continuing good following breeze we were able to sail right up to the landing jetty of Far South camp. Once all the fleet was bedded down, an excellent dinner was prepared by the cooks in an actual kitchen this time, and todays award went to safety boat 1 for being marooned this morning - Glynn Shevels. The day was finished off around a campfire on the waters edge under a clear starry night - another great day on the raid.

(Report from 'Black Pearl', pictured below)

Southport to Mickey's Bay

posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:19 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 5, 2013, 3:20 AM ]

Commodore Nash and Fleet Command (Rear Admirals Laidlaw and McCrae) considered the weather and ordered an early start to avoid the forecast blustery afternoon.  The rowers set off at 8am reaching Butlers Beach by 10am.  Butlers Beach is pristine.  The fleet, which had come around the north side of Partridge Island, arrived some time later, after which all boats entered Great Taylor's Bay, and then Mickey's Bay.  John Hepplewhite greeted us at 'the shack' (thank you John, it is a stunning place).  There was shore party which ventured to the nearby entrance of Cloudy Bay Lagoon, a special place.  We set up camp. Bruny local Allegra gave a fascinating talk on Bruny Island orchids and other related topics after a seafood feast of prawns, Bruny Island oysters and flathead caught by Fergus Leverton and Glynn Shevels from the safety boat. 

Our rowing correspondent

Thanks to Libor Sikora for this picture of a skippers meeting


posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:08 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Mar 8, 2013, 12:59 PM ]

Great day. Arrived Friday night after a speedy day for the sailors, and a 'boisterous' one for the rowers.  The traditional Friday night revelry was a spit roast and entertainment from Elly and her band.  Jetty House and the woofers was exemplary. Southport community put on a great cafe.  Tents adorning the campsite.  In the morning 'Imagine' voyaged across to Deep Hole, others took a side trip on the Ida Bay Railway.  Historian Greg Hogg gave a talk on the history of the Southport Regatta (back to 1932).  At the campsite frenzied cardboard boat building. At 2pm 7 cardboard boats were launched, the winner being Crabwacker, defeating Pocket Rocket which disintegrated and several others which completed the race.  Many boats took part in the Regatta race, which followed a triangular course around the bay. Sailing boats completed two circuits, rowing boats one.  Somebody won - maybe Black Pearl.  Of the two rowing craft Julian Robinson in Joy came first, beating Imagine home.  Another lovely meal in the evening.

Our Rowing Correspondent

And for a second viewpoint:

A slow start after a fairly big night  for a few??? Bob and Jamie supplemented 
the normal continental brekky with yummy toasted ham sanger's. As you can tell,
apart from wooden boats , food plays a big part in LBT life. Quite a few activities
were planned for the Southport Regatta. One group headed over to the Southport
narrows where local historian Greg entertained with local history and information
the French garden we had visited a couple days before. Another group had a trip
on the Ida bay railway up to Ida bay and on to ???? Gem store. Back at Jetty House
the kids were beginning their boat construction of the cardboard quick and dirty.
Six fine craft were constructed with rather a lot of cello tape over a couple of hours.
Boats were then proudly carried to the beach where a course had been set and after
a frenetic start four of the six boats completed the course a record I believe , a
great time was had by all.

Then it was onto the main event the Regatta a healthy fleet took to the starting line
for the two lap race. A great finish occurred after the wind orchestrated a gathering
of the fleet at the last mark.  We were lucky to have Celia Leverton on the bow to
record the photo finishes. Under the mysterious handicapping system decreed by
the fleet admiral Black Pearl was declared a popular winner.

Much discussion had taken place on whether we were going to make it to Mickeys
Bay before an ominous weather change.  Finally a decision was made.  It was all
go, we were to leave the beach at 8 am.  After another fine breakfast the camp
sight cleared quickly after the 6 am rising.

Thanks again to Ros and Carl and the folk at Jetty house for another memorable

Ali McRae

From Recherche to Southport

posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:55 PM by Richard Forster   [ updated Feb 4, 2013, 1:11 PM ]

The first passage day of Tawe Nunnagh dawned with with the grey skies and the odd shower still persisting. They say that you have not really experienced the SW of Tassy if it has not rained.  There was a real air of excitement at the skippers meeting as Dave Nash gave the briefing and weather. Camp breakdown went very smoothly and
there was even a smile on Ground Captain John Walduck's dial.  Onto the water with a light SW following wind to take us out of Recherché. Half way across to Eliza point the wind picked up to a delightful 15 to 20 knots with a 1 to 1.5 following swell. The Women on Water boat Imagine was experiencing a few difficulties with their new rig but soldiered on.  Just north of Eliza point Tweedledee the flighty Lazy E dinghy completed the first capsize of the Raid. Safety systems sprang into action with Rescue 1 on the scene to stand by while Fleetwing the adjacent " buddy boat " proceeded to the scene.  Martin and Deb are old hands at this capsizing business and soon had Tweedledee righted and under way without any need for outside assistance. The rest of the voyage was uneventful, just beautiful sailing conditions in a truly magnificent location. We arrived at Southport beach adjacent to Jetty House the superb B& B run by Ros and Carl Wright which was to be our home for the next two nights. Camp went up smoothly, the bar opened early, all systems seemed to be running like a well oiled machine. A fine meal was served by the Chefs and we were entertained by the band , can't remember there name, and a fine evening was had by all. The daily award The Ros Barnett Perpetual was presented to Tweedledee for their attention seeking capsize.

Ali McRae

(thanks to Libor Sikora for pic)

1-10 of 22